MENOPAUSE & PERSONAL HYGIENE
For women, the menopause is often accompanied by dryness in the intimate area (vulva and vagina). Using a suitable hygiene product can help to reduce discomfort in the vulvar area caused by dryness of the mucosa.
Here is our expert advice for the menopause and dryness of the mucosa:
- Even in the event of irritation and dryness in the intimate area during the menopause, do not wash more regularly: wash your intimate area no more than twice a day.
- Do not wash with clear water alone. Although it may provide short-term comfort, it contributes to dehydrating the mucous membranes.
- Do not wash internally (vaginal douches).
- Use products with hydrating and soothing active ingredients.
- Avoid using antiseptics on a daily basis.
- Do not just apply any cream in the event of irritation and dryness of the mucosa.
- Avoid underwear made from synthetic fabrics.
There are several causes of vulvovaginal dryness other than the menopause:
- The period after giving birth
- Certain medicines
- An imbalance in the vulvovaginal flora
- Irritation and/or vulvovaginal infection
- Intimate hair removal
Infectologist/Medical Director, Fournier Institute