Puberty in your daughter
During puberty, the first period is one of the most important milestones for teenage girls. Like the physical changes caused by puberty, the onset of menstruation raises many questions and can be a source of anxiety. Decryption and expert advice.
ENTERING PUBERTY: A PERIOD OF GREAT CHANGES?
In general, puberty begins with a growth spurt. Breast development is one of the first visible signs. At first they appear swollen and sometimes even a little tender, before growing and becoming larger. Wearing a bra can be useful and comfortable. Gradually, the hair becomes denser under the arms, on the legs and on the pubis. At the same time, the hips and pelvis widen. Hormones begin to produce sebum on the surface of the skin. It is he who causes the appearance of pimples and impurities: the famous acne. These small body metamorphoses vary from one teenager to another. Do not panic !
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF PUBERTY IN A GIRL ?
• Breast buds : the nipples rise like small balls, and outline the formation of the breasts. This development is frequently asymmetrical during puberty.
• Hairiness : the appearance of pubic hair is an important marker. At first, they are sparse on the labia majora, to thicken thereafter. Hair under the armpits usually grows after the first period.
• Sweating : the increased presence of hormones triggers the secretion of the apocrine glands. These produce a denser and more fragrant sweat, as in adults.
• Acne : Acne pimples usually occur on the face and back. They are linked to excess sebum which clogs the pores of the skin. Do not panic ! The problem settles perfectly after a girl's puberty.
• White losses : more or less abundant, they mark the beginnings of the first periods during puberty in girls. Mother and daughter can find the opportunity to discuss the upheavals that are coming, to discuss menstruation, personal hygiene and hygienic protection.
• The first periods : they represent the major event that begins the end of puberty. The first bleeding occurs on average at the age of 13, but can appear as early as 10 years old, while other young girls wait until 16 years old. They usually last between 3 and 6 days. Their color can vary from red to brown.
HOW TO PREPARE MY DAUGHTER FOR THE ARRIVAL OF HER FIRST PERIOD ?
Communication with mother/daughter (or with a trusted female figure) regarding puberty should be straightforward. It is above all a question of explaining that the arrival of the periods is the result of a body which awakens and grows, of playing down the effects. Having your period is not dirty, complicated or scary, but natural and healthy. It is good to inform young girls that the first periods are often irregular, that they can affect their mood, cause swelling of the breasts or small cramps in the lower abdomen. Encourage your daughter to ask for medication that relieves pain, and to come talk to you as soon as she feels the need. You can also give him playful documentation, including this comic book for teenage girls that you can download here.
Before tackling the essential subject of sexuality, the dialogue can also open up around hygienic protection and personal hygiene essential to the smooth running of the process.
THE FUNDAMENTALS OF EFFECTIVE PROTECTION AND INTIMATE GROOMING DURING PUBERTY IN GIRLS
The choice of hygienic protection is made according to two criteria: comfort and confidence. It must be easy to use and allay fears of a possible leak.
At the age of puberty, when menstruation begins, most girls opt for sanitary napkins, which appear to be safe, easy to use and respectful of the intimate area. Saforelle offers for this purpose a range in organic cotton and without synthetic super-absorbents.
An alternative of choice now exists to experience your first period with complete peace of mind: the Saforelle Teens menstruation panty specially designed for teenagers. Saforelle innovates with protection that combines safety, efficiency, ease of use, and freedom of comfort. The winning combo !
During menstruation, intimate hygiene must be rigorous. Some young girls may feel embarrassed to wash themselves, or feel the urge to wash more frequently. In any case, it is an essential act that allows you to become familiar with your body. Personal hygiene should be regular, once or twice a day maximum. Not more, in order to avoid an imbalance of the vulvovaginal flora! For this daily cleanse, we recommend the use of our Refreshing Cleansing Care, which in addition to being particularly suitable for delicate skin, neutralizes unwanted odors and provides a pleasant and lasting feeling of freshness.