How can you maintain good personal hygiene?
Women’s intimate hygiene: the intimate area is made up of very sensitive tissue. Bad habits can lead to an imbalance in the flora that protects the vulvar and vaginal environments. These poor habits can include poor hygiene, excessive hygiene or the use of inappropriate products that can trigger irritation or promote infection. This is why it is important to practise good personal hygiene on a daily basis and use a suitable product.
During periods of intimate problems (itching, mycoses, etc.), it is important to have appropriate personal hygiene, in addition to any medication prescribed by your doctor.
How can you maintain good personal hygiene? What are the right daily steps for intimate cleansing ?
- Wash your intimate area a maximum of twice per day in the morning and at night, excessive hygiene may maintain irritations.
- Avoid vaginal douches. This includes those using clean water.
- Rinse well after washing your intimate area.
- Dry yourself carefully.
- If necessary, apply a soothing product.
- Avoid antiseptics and choose gentle soap-free cleansing products.
- Wash using with your bare hands, as washcloth are a breeding ground for microbes.
- Change your underwear daily and choose cotton underwear as opposed to synthetic fabrics or silk.
- Avoid excessively tight clothing which could cause friction.
- Change your protection regularly during your period.
- Don’t hesitate to see your doctor in the event of problems in the intimate area.
Infectologist/Medical Director, Fournier Institute